Monday, November 14, 2011

Roller Coasters and Pinterest Pains

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Joy giving me a hug when she learned that I was bummed about something.

. . . a comment in Relief Society that the Gospel is like a seat belt on a roller coaster. Sometimes I feel like I've climbed aboard a wild ride, and it is good to know that no matter what happens, if I follow God's counsel I'll come through all right in the end.

. . . posting about our recent Arches trip on the family blog. It's fun to relive the memories.

And another thing . . .

. . . I have very mixed feelings about pinterest.com. I decided to create an account as a convenient way to organize recipes I want to try. It has great potential, but I think the site is experiencing some growing pains.

First of all, when I requested an invite I got an email that they had put me on a waiting list. I waited several days, then asked a friend with an existing account if she would send me an invite. She did, and seconds later I had an account. I had to create it through Facebook (or Twitter, but I have no account with them), and Pinterest automatically made me a follower of a dozen or so Facebook friends. Okaaaaay. It also made me a follower of half a dozen people I've never heard of. Maybe I'm not adventurous enough, but I just didn't like that. I unfollowed them, then set to work creating some pinboards.

I made a couple recipe pinboards, then decided to make some humor ones since I'd found some delightful comics on my first visit to the site. Unfortunately, I'm good at finding funny comics and quotes by accident, but when I intentionally go looking for them all I seem to find is pages full of swear words and mildly crude humor. Bleck.

Of course, the content is the pinners' responsibility, not the site's. My biggest gripe with the site is that I get error messages a lot. I can't even access one of my pinboards, and when I tried creating a second version and repinning two recipes directly from their sites they never even showed up. Siiiigh. Few things are more frustrating than technology that doesn't work the way it should.

So, the jury is still out on Pinterest. I love the concept, but if half the recipes I save become inaccessible then there's no point in continuing. Plus, the site is proving to be a real time-sucker, and that's the last thing I need in my life right now.

No comments: