Thursday, September 15, 2011

School, Smiles, and a Homecoming

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Phillip walking in the door, home from his travels.

. . . Daniel being very cooperative at a doctor appointment so we could get to school in time to pick Joy up. Thanks, Little Buddy.

. . . Joy eagerly telling me what she did at school today.

And another thing . . .

. . . they say infants don’t really learn to smile until they’re two or three months old, but Anna’s facial expressions still strike me as pleasant and cheerful, most of the time. Of course, her rides in the car seat are still notable exceptions to that rule.

. . . Joy started her first day of preschool today. I wondered how things would go since she has been a little clingy lately, but after a few minutes she gave me a hug and told me I should leave. I was relieved and proud of her for being willing to let us go, but I also felt a bit wistful to think that my firstborn is starting school. It’s just another reminder that childhood is fleeting and my daughter is growing up. Sometimes I get tired of her wanting to spend so much time with me, but in a few years her interests and attention will lie elsewhere, and before I know it she’ll be gone from home completely. It's actually a rather surreal thought at this point.

No comments: