Saturday, September 3, 2011

Surviving

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . noticing that most of my container garden is withering because it spent the last week of August unwatered. Technically, unrolling a hose and watering lots of pots probably isn't on the list of approved postpartum activities, but those thyme and rosemary plants have been with me longer than two of my children. I'm not letting them croak that easily (and I don't trust myself to remember to ask Phillip to water them when he gets home).

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . nursing getting better. It still hurts, but not in a "will the cruel torment never end?!?" sort of way.

. . . figuring out a few ways to integrate Baby's schedule with the big kids' needs. I don't have all the details figured out yet, but today's little success were encouraging.

And another thing . . .

. . . this afternoon I found myself reflecting on a book called Deep Survival, by Laurence Gonzales. After reviewing the cases of numerous people who survived hazardous situations (or didn’t), Gonzales notes that the key to survival isn’t necessarily wilderness training (though that certainly helps), but rather character traits and attitude. He says survivors don’t pin their hopes on rescuers, but make the determination to get themselves out of trouble one small step at a time, even if the odds seem impossibly long. They set small goals, set up routines, and never quit. What’s more, they keep a sense of humor, notice and enjoy the beautiful details around them, count their blessings, and celebrate their successes. They pray for help, and help others (thus becoming a rescuer, not a victim).

Gonzales wrote his book partly for people who want to survive shipwrecks and snowstorms, but mostly for people who want to “survive” job loss, addiction, illness, or any other source of stress. As I considered the survival traits he outlined, I reflected that they are exactly the sort of ideas I’ve been looking for to become a better parent, both in my current challenges and in the years ahead.

I’ve already seen that meshing three kids’ schedules is much easier (and less stressful), when I just try to figure it out bit by bit, one day at a time, rather than strategize what I will do every minute of every day for the next few years. I’m sure I’ll have a routine set up before I know it; the bigger question is whether I’ll remember to play and pray—enjoying the small, sweet moments, and seeking God’s help and guidance to keep improving.


P.S. Please don't feel compelled to assure me that I'm a good parent. I know I'm doing a good job, but I could be doing better. I want to progress, not coast.

No comments: