Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Choose the Right, Dude

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . Joy decided to play a game in which we each could choose to be something else. I assumed we'd be birdies or kitties, etc., but Joy said she was going to be a prophet. I asked if she was going to teach Daniel, whereupon she walked right over to him, knelt down by his side, and said, "Hey, Doodie. Choose the right, dude."

. . . Joy asking Daniel if he wants a kiss or hug, and he smiles and says "Nuh" ("Yes"), then they put their arms around each other. It's so sweet to watch.

. . . cooking a deliciously moist and tender roast in the solar oven. The solar potato recipe I tried was nothing to get excited about, though.

And another thing . . .

. . . I made chocolate chip cookies today. Every time I measure out some vanilla these days, I think of a little reminiscence I recently read. An old woman recalled baking with her mother as a child, and being enchanted by the delicious flavor vanilla extract could impart to a recipe. When her mom wasn't looking, she snuck the vanilla outside so she could swig that sweet elixir straight from the bottle. She was shocked to discover that something which can be such a delicious addition to a recipe is so bitter and unpleasant when tasted alone. I'm sure there's a broader life lesson there somewhere. :)

No comments: