Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Quasi Cookies and Vented Molehills

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . my kids competing to see who could laugh louder.

. . . successfully baking some mini muffins in my solar oven. The recipe said they were supposed to be cookies, but I baked them in mini muffin tins (my cookie sheets won't fit in the solar oven), and the texture was more muffin-like. What's more, as I've compared the recipe to others, it actually bears a very close resemblance to several oatmeal muffin recipes I've come across. I guess if I want honest-to-goodness cookies, I should just use my own recipe.

And another thing . . .

. . . this morning, Phillip mentioned a choir-related schedule change that essentially torpedoed my dinner plans for the rest of the week. I was bummed and inconvenienced, but I knew if I told him that he would feel bad, offer to change his schedule, and end up even more bummed and inconvenienced than I was. I tried to just move on and accept that plans don't always work out, but the disappointment kept eating at me.

Later in the morning a friend asked how I was doing, and when I said I was trying to keep a molehill from becoming a mountain she insisted I tell her the whole story. Talking about my troubles didn't get rid of them, but somehow it made it easier to put them behind me. I don't think it's healthy to complain all the time, but every now and then it really does help to get your disappointment off your chest, and thus off your mind.

No comments: