Friday, May 13, 2011

Classical Music, with Tacos on the Side

Today's favorite moments included . . .

. . . attending Phillip's choir concert tonight, in which they performed Carl Orff's Carmina Burana. I had heard it performed years ago, but since I didn't know what the Latin and German lyrics meant it just seemed like a random, loud montage of songs (though the opening/closing number O Fortuna was pretty awesome--heck, any song is a bit more epic when accompanied by a massive drum and a gong). This time I actually read the translations while the choir was singing, and it infused the music with much more power and emotion for me. The performance was a thrill, and it was a delight to see my husband enjoy singing so much.

. . . it was also fun to eat tacos with him at a hole-in-the-wall Mexican place before the concert.

2 comments:

Phillip said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the concert; thanks to Merrilee, who watched the kids all night while we drove out to and back from Oxnard!

I think my favorite concert to sing in was Saturday's, though I think we probably sounded the best in Sunday's concert.

Oh...and I'm glad we live near the taco truck behind Food-4-Less. Their tacos al pastor are much better. :)

Kimberly Bluestocking said...

I wish I'd heard Saturday's concert. It would have been fun to hear the Tavern song when it wasn't jumbled.

And yes, we must revisit that taco truck soon.