Tuesday, May 3, 2011

World Affairs and Broken Glasses

Today's not-so-favorite moments included . . .

. . . our internet going down. Thank goodness for a techie husband who can fix such things.

Today's favorite moments included . . .


. . . playing as a family in the cool twilight.

And another thing . . .

. . . a while back Daniel nearly destroyed my spare pair of glasses (he detached the wire that held a lens in, and bent the frame halfway to next week).
Fortunately, Lenscrafters agreed to fix them for free today.
Unfortunately, they required me to sign a waiver that I wouldn't hold them accountable for any damage, and when they were reshaping the frame they snapped it apart.
Fortunately, they said the jeweler a few doors down could solder the frame back together.
Unfortunately, he charges $35.
Fortunately, he agreed to fix my glasses today and call when they're done.
Unfortunately, he hasn't called.
Sigh.

. . . on a more serious note, I learned (as you probably have) that Osama bin Laden was killed by U.S. counter-terrorism troops last night. I've heard that many exuberant celebrations spontaneously sprang up over the news, but though I'm glad justice was finally served and he won't be able to orchestrate any more attacks, I can't quite bring myself to cheer and dance because a fellow human being was gunned down. What's more, I'm not yet sure what difference this will make in the War on Terror. America won a highly symbolic victory last night and I'm proud of my country for persevering to achieve what it set out to do ten years ago, but did we truly weaken Al Qaeda by eliminating its leader, or will another terrorist simply step into his place and carry on business as usual?

No comments: